Defence School Mentor (DSM) Program
This program provides support to children (both primary and secondary) of Defence Force (ADF) members and their families, particularly during their transition in and out of school on posting or during parental absence due to deployment, exercise or courses.
The DSM works in schools to provide information, support and referral for students and their families.
The DSM provides assistance to ADF children and families by:
- Assisting students to integrate into the school community
- Co-ordinating appropriate welcoming and farewelling strategies
- Supporting students to develop self-confidence and resilience
- Encouranging students to explore options and make the most of opportunities
- Assisting students manage the challenges of transition
- Monitoring students day to day social and emotional wellbeing
- Monitoring ADF students personal issues such as friendship, peer groups and classroom difficulties
- Raising awareness of Defence related issues facing students such as parental absences due to service requirements
Parents can contact the school to discuss a student's transition.
The DSM at Gippsland Grammar is Amanda Canfield. Amanda can be contacted by calling the School on 5143 6388 or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.